Greetings SEE Scholar and Family!
The starting date for the SEE program is fast approaching. We are looking forward to seeing you soon!
As a part of SEE, Scholars are welcome to participate in Truman Orientation on the Tuesday immediately before Move-In Day. However, alternative dates are available throughout the summer. Parents are not required to attend Orientation but are welcome to attend any or all of the day’s sessions.
Students may check in at Dobson Hall on Sunday, July 26 between 8:00 AM and noon. There will be staff members available to check you in and volunteers to help move your belongings into your residence hall room. We will begin orientation at 12:00 pm, so we recommend arriving earlier to give yourself some time to unpack and settle in.
SEE Scholars will be housed in Dobson Hall’s community style rooms during the summer portion of the SEE Program. Dobson Hall has four floors with lounges and kitchens on each floor. Dobson Hall also has computers throughout the building for student use that print to a central location at the Hall Desk. Dobson Hall is equipped with a laundry room and comfortable main lobby. In your room, you will find a desk with shelves and drawers for each person, loft-able beds (homemade lofts are not allowed), one twin-sized mattress per person, a wardrobe for each person, and blinds/shades for each window.
Because the scholars will be moving to their fall residence halls immediately following the SEE Program, students need to bring everything they may need for the fall semester. This may include, but is not limited to: Linens for a twin-size bed (pillow, sheets, etc.), shower supplies (towels, soap, etc.), alarm clock, telephone, fan, clothes hangers, iron and board, shower curtains (for those in suite style buildings), spending money, bathing suit and an umbrella or raincoat. Students are asked to keep in mind the size of a typical dorm room when they are packing. To review the Residence Hall policies and find a complete list of what items you are allowed to bring to campus, please view the Residence Life Handbook.
We Will Provide:
- SEE folder and notebook
- Software for MATH 156, 157, or 186
Note: There is a Walmart and other local stores where you may purchase room supplies if you prefer to look the room over before deciding what to bring.
- Check Cashing: You may make checks payable to “Truman State University” in $25.00 increments. Students will be allowed to cash checks at the Cashier Window in the lower floor of McClain Hall (the university administrative building) during normal business hours Monday-Friday between 7:30 AM and 2:00 PM. The Cashier Window is not open on Saturday or Sunday. Students must show identification when cashing checks.
- Post Office: Mail to all Residence Halls is received and distributed to the campus living environments Monday through Saturday, except on national and University holidays or breaks. All mail delivered in mailboxes must include the name and address of the resident and a return address. Outgoing mail is picked up once a day from the hall desk or other designated mail drop slots. Stamps and envelopes can be purchased at the hall desk. To send mail to your SEE Scholar during the SEE Program the mailing address is:
Center for Diversity & Inclusion
Baldwin Hall 109
Truman State University
100 E. Normal
Kirksville, Missouri 63501
- Laundry: Washers and dryers are available in all of the residence halls including Dobson Hall. Payment is not required to do loads of laundry but students must provide their own detergent!
- University Bookstore: The bookstore is located on campus in the Student Union Building. Some textbooks will be furnished to students for both the summer program and fall semester. Additional school supplies, textbooks, or Truman gear may be purchased at the bookstore.
- Library: Students will have full privileges in Pickler Memorial Library such as computers, computer labs and reference materials. Students will be held responsible for any lost books or late fees.
- Health Services and Insurance: Students may use the Student Health Center on campus. Emergency medical service is available at the local hospital, Northeast Regional Medical Center. Please complete and return the Medical History form included in the orientation mailing and submit a record of your immunizations to the Health Center. If you do not return the forms before move-in day, please bring them to campus with you. Law requires certain immunizations (i.e. Measles and Meningitis) prior to the start of fall classes. If you have any questions regarding use of the Student Health Center, please contact us at (660) 785-4182. Additionally, bring a copy of your health and pharmacy insurance cards with you.
Students are not permitted to use their personal vehicles during the SEE Program. The SEE Program will have regular access to University vehicles. Due to liability and University regulations, if a student brings a personal vehicle it will be parked for the duration of the program in a campus parking lot.
Check-out of Dobson Hall
Check-out will begin the Sunday before Move-In Day for Fall Semester, and scholars will move into their assigned residence halls for the remainder of the school year.
Student Expectation and Protocol
We ask that SEE Scholars and a parent/guardian review, sign, and bring the Student Expectation and Protocol form for SEE Move In. We also encourage SEE Scholars to familiarize themselves with the Student Conduct Code.